In an effort to continue building capacity in the teaching of Music in the primary classroom, Sydney Catholic Schools (SCS) is offering a short course for teachers who are responsible for planning and delivering the Music program for their schools - Make Music Count. The course aims to extend the effectiveness of the teacher's current pedagogical practice to embrace innovative, engaging approaches to the teaching of Music in the K-6 setting.
Make Music Count involves three days (non-consecutive) of face-to-face teacher professional learning, which will enable participants to apply learnings in their music classroom between sessions. The workshops offered will focus on deepening the understanding of the various musical concepts across the music activity areas of performing, organising sound and listening, and tailored to meet the needs and interest of the participants. It will also be an opportunity to share exemplary practice, resources and ideas, as well as providing a platform for teachers to network and share their lesson and program ideas as they are often working in isolation in regards to this learning area.
The course content will include:
* creating classroom percussion scores – tuned and untuned instruments
* using chords to make simple accompaniments
* reading rhythms and melodies
* vocal techniques and repertoire selection
* singing in parts (rounds, partner songs, part-singing)
* using choreography in ensemble performances
* selecting music for listening activities with specific musical focus
* integrating music with technology
* exploring fun ways to engage students in the composition process
* integrating music in the wider curriculum including literacy and maths
* sharing of lesson ideas, resource sites
Nancy Cincotta, Education Officer within the SCS Arts Team, who is also a music lecturer at Sydney University in the Bachelor of Education and Masters in Teaching (Primary) will lead the course, with various guest presenters invited to deliver parts of the overall program.
Registration is through PHRIS - Course Code 2000-9939
As elective professional development, Make Music Count addresses the following Australian Professional Standards for Teachers: 2.1.2, 2.2.2, 2.6.2, 3.2.2, 6.2.2.